Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Basic, Versatile Buttercream Frosting

I wanted to share my favourite buttercream frosting recipe. It's fluffy, easy, versatile & most importantly, delicious! I'll share, as well, a few of my favourite variations of this recipe. This is a great, classic topping for your favourite cake or cupcake recipe. I wouldn't recommend storing it in the fridge, as the butter will harden the icing. I do, however, strongly recommend storing it in your belly ;)

Ingredients
1 cup soft/room temperature butter
2 cups icing sugar

Cream together butter & icing sugar until a "frosting-like" consistency is reached, about 3 minutes in my KitchenAid stand-up mixer. Time is approximate & may vary depending on brand of mixer, or method used.

Variations
Classic Vanilla Buttercream: Simply add in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract & mix.

Salted Caramel Buttercream: Stir in 4-5 tablespoons Smuckers Caramel Sauce, along with salt, to taste (I find 1/4 teaspoon suffices, but you may want more or less).

Earl Grey Buttercream: Pour in 2-3 opened earl grey tea bags (depending on desired strength) to the frosting until combined.

Frost your cupcakes/cake as you usually would and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment