Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pumpkin Protein Bars

For my very first blog post, I wanted to share my favourite go-to recipe for pumpkin protein bars. My favourite part of these bars is their texture; a dense, spongey cake consistency once cooked. Instead of using flour, my recipe uses protein powder. If you prefer, you can use flour. Just know, that I can't vouch for the results if flour is used, as I haven't tried it that way before. I've tried replacing the pumpkin in this with mashed banana before & it was absolutely delicious! Feel free to use whatever you want if you dislike/don't have/can't find pureed pumpkin. Get creative! Let me know in the comments what your favourite pumpkin replacement is...

Ingredients
*Makes 8 bars
-1 Cup Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
-4 Teaspoons Cinnamon
-1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
-1 Teaspoon baking powder
-Pinch Salt
-Stevia, to taste *Optional (depends on your sweet tooth, I prefer it with 3 packets of Krisda stevia)
-3 Egg Whites
-1/2 Cup Almond Milk
-1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
-1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla
 
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine vanilla protein powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt & stevia (if using) in a medium size bowl. In a separate bowl (or measuring cup), stir together egg whites & almond milk. Pour egg white/almond milk mixture into dry ingredients. Next, slowly add in pumpkin puree & follow with vanilla. Give the batter a good mix, & transfer into greased/sprayed 8x8 pan. Place the pan in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.

Serving Size: 1 bar
Servings per recipe: 8
Calories: 70
Total Fat: 1.25g
Sodium: 83.13mg
Total Carbohydrate: 4.25g
Dietary Fiber: 3.35g
Sugars: 0.89g
Protein: 20g



No comments:

Post a Comment