Saturday, August 25, 2012

Vegan Hot Chocolate Oatmeal

I know, I know; another oatmeal recipe. You'll forgive me once you try this one out... It takes exactly like hot chocolate. No joke! It gets better though. Not only are these oats completely guilt-free, but they are also vegan. I would recommend using a high quality cocoa powder, such as Hershey's or Ghirardelli. If you want an even greater resemblance to hot chocolate you could use whip cream (vegan or otherwise). Another recommendation, adding cocoa powder to the whip cream... Chocolate whip cream! I personally haven't tried the above variations, so I can't vouch for the flavor. I can, however, vouch for the flavor of the original oatmeal, which is yum-tastic! Let me know if you try any of the variations & how they taste.

Ingredients
1/3 cup oats
1 1/4 cup liquid (I used 1/2 cup almond milk, 3/4 cup water)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp carob chips 
1 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened 
1.5 tbsp water
stevia, or other sweetener to taste (I used 5 packets Krisda stevia) 

In a small saucepan on high heat, combine the first 3 ingredients (oats, liquid & vanilla). While the oats are cooking, combine carob chips, cocoa powder & water in a small bowl. Stir until thick, saucey consistency is reached. Add in half of your chosen sweetener. When oats are cooked (almost all liquid absorbed) pour into a separate, larger bowl. Stir in the chocolate mixture from earlier, and the remaining half of sweetener. Enjoy! 

Variations:
Peanut butter hot chocolate: Add 1 tbsp of peanut butter
Coconut hot chocolate: Add 1-2 tbsp flaked or shredded coconut 
Strawberry hot chocolate: Add 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
Banana hot chocolate: Add 1/2 banana broken into 2 segments. Chop 1 segment into fourths and mash the other.


No comments:

Post a Comment