Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Grandma's Banana Bread: Healthified

Warm banana bread, fresh out of the oven. Soft centre, crispy outside... Could it get any better? Oh yes it can! This is my version of Grandma's banana bread & it's completely guilt-free. Not to mention delicious! The resident banana bread monster My little brother ate six pieces. Yes, the same brother mentioned here. Again, I conveniently forgot to mention this was healthy... Until he scarfed down the aforementioned 6 pieces. He didn't believe me. Neither did my mum. Nor my dad. I really want to curl up with tea and this banana bread in front of the fireplace. Unfortunately, I can't do that. Because there is no more banana bread left. I guess I'll just have to make some more. Oh, and yes, I just started a sentence with "because". See what two and a half months away from school does to me?

Ingredients 
2 1/4 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut sugar 
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 flax eggs (soak 2 tbsp flax in 6 tbsp water for 2 minutes. Equivalent to 2 eggs)
1/2 cup Earth Balance or similar "butter"
1 tsp vanilla
3 bananas, mashed
2 tbsp water

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream together "butter", sugar, maple syrup & flax eggs. Slowly add dry ingredients to mixture & stir to incorporate. Pour into a loaf pan (or you can do muffins) and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes (if making muffins, decrease bake time to around 18-20 minutes). Enjoy!

Question of the day: What's your favourite food?
Mine would probably be peanut butter or cashew butter. They are both addicting. And cashew butter makes stuff taste like cake batter. Yes, you heard me, cake batter. And you can't go wrong with peanut butter. But only the all natural kind. I really don't like the taste of Kraft. It tastes so fake! Peanut butter snob :)



  

YUM!










Hope you like this recipe as much as my family & I did! Let me know in the comments if you make the recipe or have any additions/changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment