Sunday, September 23, 2012

Banana Muffins w/ Raspberry Honey Frosting

So, let's cut to the chase. Frosting, made out of nuts? What? If my grandma knew, I think she'd faint (she doesn't believe in the no butter, no sugar stuff). But it does work. And plus, it tastes delicious! Oh, and the banana muffins? Yum! You see, I got this idea for banana walnut muffins the other day. There used to be this incredible muffin place in the local mall, but unfortunately, it closed. I may or may not have shed a tear or 2. Yes, it was that good. Anyways, this place had the bestest-ever banana walnut muffins, so I thought I would try to recreate a healthier version. I'm sure the ones at the muffins place were loaded with sugar, butter and a whole ton  of other junk! One does have to live a little though :) On to the golden recipes...


Ingredients
Muffins:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raw coconut sugar (or reduce almond milk, and use agave)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp baking powder
3 bananas (2 mashed, 1 chopped)
1 1/4 cups almond milk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, beginning with dry, and adding wet last. Disperse prepared batter evenly into a greased or lined muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a fork/toothpick comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.

Frosting:
1 cup nuts (I used 1/2 cup walnuts & 1/2 cup pecans)
5 tbsp raspberry jam (I used Smucker's no sugar added)
3 tbsp honey

In a cereal bowl filled with hot water, soak the nuts for 2 hours. Once soft, combine all ingredients in a food processing device (ie., blender or food processor). Process until smooth consistency is reached. Once done, frost cooled muffins to your desire. Makes 1 cup of frosting.
Question of the day: What's you're favourite recipe website?
Mine is Chocolate Covered Katie. Her recipes are so awesome, and I've only ever had 1 fail me. Some favourites include Mint Chocolate Fudge Pie, Secret Peanut Butter Cookies, Single Lady cupcakes, and her Cookie Dough Dip! Also many, many more :)


That's all for today! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Until next time!

Ps. Any requests? Just let me know. My goal is to please my readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment